Whilst traipsing about NYC with my darling ladies, one in particular started hitting me up about sharing a group she had recently fallen somewhat in love with. As this person was Stephanie, I said “of course I will cover them…I somewhat love them too!!” But it turns out, after a little (very little) consideration, I would totally talk about anyone that someone requested…as long as I have heard of the group/musician, like them, and have something to say. And since I do have things to say about Basterd, I will do so….now.
Basterd are a rap duo that debuted in 2014 under the label Luminant. Both members, Apro (deep voice) and XID (high voice) are dancers, rappers, and waaaay into fashion. Like super into fashion. And from what I can see on their social media sites, both individually and as a group, they are pretty big time into art. Think T.O.P. into art. Their respective Instagram accounts are pretty beautiful. Their releases are pretty few and far between, so it’s good that they have other interests
The song I’m sharing with you today is not their biggest hit, I don’t know that they have a biggest hit, but if they do, it’s the song All. I recommend checking it out as it was the first one I heard and somewhat fell in love with. This song, the one I am sharing with you today though, is actually their debut and I somewhat love it even more than All. The things I cling to include, but are not limited to:
- The kind of low budget, do it yourself style of the video (do not confuse style with quality…this is high quality)
- The desperate attempt to be street while still wearing makeup and looking flawless
- The scene at 1’27” when XID licks the bat (oh, man)
- The giant dog that would easily take either of them down or drag them where he wanted to go
- The way their completely different voices and styles blend
- The scene at 3’07” where Apro is swinging the bat and prancing around
- The absolutely sick backing track on this song
- How cocky the lyrics are for a debut…because I’m totally sure they did it half-assed…yeah, right?
- The chorus is mostly La’s, Da’s, and the word Hello, so I can sing along confidently
- In between all of the swag, you get to catch a glimpse of how charming and goofy the two are throughout the video.
Check ‘em out…these guys don’t get a lot of attention, but they should. They have some real talent and hopefully, they get a little exposure in the future… though I’m not entirely sure they will every actually release anything together again as they are a super quiet as a group. Their last release was a collab with Keebomb and Joe Rhee in 2016, one track only. I approve of them and thank Stephanie for recommending that we include them as part of Throwback.
Basterd, Bad News