Fun Friday: Kdreams, Attack of the Subconscious

Posted by Stephanie on July 8, 2016

Fun Friday

wedding

So. I’ve been kicking around this post for a while now, but an exchange on Twitter made me finally take action:

ya 1 ya 2 ya 3ya 4

It makes me wonder a few things. 1) Why are K-related dreams so infrequent and 2) what are some of your weirdest K-dreams?

Let’s take #1, I don’t know about you, but my k-related dreams are few and very far between. Giving notice to my job working out the notice and then realizing you don’t have a job to go to? Having to move in a day? Or an asteroid big enough to destroy everything coming to earth? Yeah. These dreams I have allll the time.

A dream where I get to meet a hot Korean star? Or dating a hot Korean star or making out with a hot Korean star? Nada. I’ve come to realize my subconscious hates me.

Me: You know I’m pretty stressed right now, right?
Subconscious: …..yeah.
Me: Why don’t you do me a solid and let me date T.O.P tonight?
Subconscious: ….I don’t know, tonight we have scheduled the very important ‘someone is in your house while you’re sleeping’ dream.
Me: Did you not miss the day I had?
Subconscious: I don’t just willy-nilly do these things you know, I can’t just make shit up.
Me: Come on! Isn’t that exactly what dreams are?? Or are you telling me I can actually fly?
Subconscious: I’m not doing it.
Me: Don’t you want to make me happy?
Subconscious: No, not really.
Me: You’re awful.
Subconscious: How about a compromise? I’ll give you a dream where you will just happen to be at a place where T.O.P does a surprise performance.
Me: Wow! That’s great! Thank you so much, Subconscious!
Sub: I will of course have to wake you up right before he goes on stage.
Me: DAMNIT.

Now, if it were me, which is weird because it is technically me, I’d be making out with Junsu—like every night. But no.

This doesn’t mean I haven’t had any Kdrama dreams. No. I’ve had a few of the T.O.P near misses, which is maddening. I had one where I was about to meet Go JunPyo from Boys Over Flowers and when he was approaching I realized he wasn’t going to like me and ran away. WHY SUBCONSCIOUS, WHY?

My most recent K-dream train wreck was me and Eunhyuk. We were getting married. In an old store I worked at. He was ready, looking all adorable in a tux with sneakers. I didn’t speak with him, I didn’t touch him, I didn’t blow a single air kiss. Nope. Because remember, my mind hates me. No, I was preoccupied with locating my makeup and my old coworker Jami so she could put it on me. Why was Jami putting on my makeup? I don’t know. Why was Jami even in this freaking dream? Lord, if I know.

Sigh. I hate you subconscious.

This dream is particularly touchy because due to certain legal document I signed with Cherry Cordial in which I gave over all rights of Eunhyuk as a bias (in perpetuity). I no longer have any right to be even pretend marrying him. (She is very territorial and litigious.) Why, out of all those out there, would I be marrying him? At least, in this case, I can be glad we weren’t sucking k-face.

So what about you? What was your weirdest K-dream? Does your brain like you any more than mine likes me?

• Reply DaraHi July 8, 2016 at 2:56 am

Omg I’ve also had a dream about being at the same place as TOP while he’s performing!! And still not getting to actually see him…but I once did have a dream where I was best friends with BTS. And it was awesome. But those kinds of dreams are far and few in between 🙁

• Reply Jacqueline Witherspoon July 8, 2016 at 9:50 am

Firstly, OH MY EVER LOVING LORD THIS IS HILARIOUS!

Secondly…This right here is proof that even my subconscious is too intimidated by the awesomeness that are celebrities. When I can barely even LOOK at a photo of them on my laptop, is it any wonder that my brain is like, “Nope nope nope nope nooooooope” when it comes to dreaming about them?

• Reply Xe July 8, 2016 at 11:53 am

I can only think of one K related dream I’ve had and it was very recent, I was a kid wrangler (in reality it would be called a manager or body guard but my dream went with a theatre position I am familiar with) for the group Twice, who was visiting the US. Specifically I was in charge of wrangling Tzuyu because she is still a teenager. We were stuck in a grocery store in my suburban home town. The store was surrounded by anti-fans, but she was happy as a clam exploring all the weird shit in the American grocery store. I just had to keep the fellow shoppers from verbally attacking her and try to keep her as oblivious as possible to the hate until the car arrived to pick us up. Note, The fellow shoppers looked a bit like the vampires from the Buffy movie, but instead of teenagers they were preppy adults and instead of biting they just hissed and said nasty things.

It was prob brought on by a lifetime of watching Buffy, snacking on Trader Joe’s Ghost Pepper Chips and concern that people are really cruel in their comments towards teenaged girl groups maknaes. Lay off Tzuyu, Umji and Yeri, haters!

• Reply ericamaureen6 July 8, 2016 at 12:50 pm

The only K-related dream was after I watched the livestream of the KCON16 NY concert. I absolutely fell in love with Jae of DAY6 while watching them perform. That night I had a dream that I met him and took a selfie with him. I never said a word to him. I just happened to be in the right place to take a selfie with him. When I woke up I checked my phone for that selfie. It wasn’t there and I was devastated.

• Reply gracesflowers July 8, 2016 at 4:00 pm

I have had related dreams when I’ve binge-watched some Kdramas…can’t remember now which ones. My mind must be so totally filled with the drama, I go on to dream entire scenes, but I am seeing them as a bystander…I have never been an active participant. I wish I had written them down after waking up….think I will next time it happens!

• Reply Cherry Cordial July 8, 2016 at 4:42 pm

I’m watching you and your Eunhyuk-marrying dreams, Stephanie! I may have to report you to The Mystical Being of Unicorns, who is my heir to all things Eunhyuk (according to the contract, of course).

On the dream front, for whatever reason, I’m in a not-remembering-my-dreams phase of my life. I know I have dreams, because when I’m in that half-awake stage in the morning I can actually remember details and go back into them when I fall asleep again, but once I wake up fully? Only fuzzy memories. I have very faint memories of Kpop or Kdrama people in my dreams but the details are so indistinct that I can’t describe anything that happened or who it was. *sigh*

• Reply SaraG July 9, 2016 at 12:32 pm

I had a dream that TOP and GD were dressed in steampunk and grabbed me from my parents house to go rescue someone…by train. TOP and I kept having to drag GD off of random women whom he was hitting on/making out with and TOP kept complaining that people were staring at him and asking if he should change his clothes. It was maddening…I was the only one that was super focused on saving this person’s life…a person that was never named, that I am sure I don’t and will never know. Oh, but those boys were a blast. It was a good dream.