Musical Monday: The Give It Another Try Edition

Posted by Stephanie on April 11, 2016

Music

bts rap mon

I’m just chillin’ here (unfortunately, literally, as my body is apparently no longer accustomed to the up north) in Vermont, spreading the K-way. I’ve served up a dinner party of piles and piles of Korean food, watched and played some Running Man (more on this later) and now, I’m doing my best to indoctrinate my friends, the McFeeley’s daughter Ryan, into Kpop. As she is a rabid Kwang Soo fan (again, later) I didn’t think I had far to go. What I didn’t expect was for her to actually get me to appreciate a song I’d written off…

The last few releases by BTS has, frankly, disappointed me. (I know, I’m part of the minority here.) I missed their rough and tumble songs (or as much rough and tumble as you can get with a kpop band) of their beginnings. I was disappointed.

Then I was playing a selection of songs for my makeshift workout, and Ryan came over to dance along with me. In the Youtube automatic playlist, the next song was BTS’s Dope. I was all, ‘Nope’. But I didn’t want to change the music to break the attention she had on the computer screen. So we sat there and watched.

Maybe it’s my new fascination with BTS due to the copious amounts of fanficiton I’ve been reading. (Gah. Don’t ask.) Maybe it was watching it through someone else’s eyes. Maybe I was finally able to put aside what I wanted at BTS to sound like? Maybe it was the fun I had ‘trying’ to point out all of the members of the band to Ry. (As Cherry has been patiently teaching me.) Or maybe I made peace with where they are going now?

Whatever the answer, this time around, I liked the song a lot. And the video was even better. I loved the outfits, the look of it, and their dancing was stellar. Go BTS, go.

BTS, Dope

• Reply DBChen April 11, 2016 at 8:53 am

I have a new appreciation for what a police uniform can dofor a guy

• Reply Stephanie April 12, 2016 at 1:14 pm

Right? I think that then I slap myself, remembering how young they are.

• Reply humbledaisy1 April 11, 2016 at 9:51 am

This is like a combination of a Village People mv and an aspirational Korean mother’s daydream. I’ll take the lawyer/prosecutor with the glasses and workplace badge for 300, Alex . . .

• Reply Stephanie April 12, 2016 at 1:16 pm

HAHAHAHHAHA! Hand me one of those menus please.

• Reply Cherry Cordial April 11, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Oh my goodness. I’m tearing up a little here *sniffle*. Tears of happiness!

Guys, I wanted so hard for Stephanie to like this song, since I loved it so much. But she didn’t, and I had to keep my love to myself.

Until Ryan came along, that is! Thank you, Ryan!!!

• Reply Trish April 13, 2016 at 11:38 am

Im a new fan as well and it took me a while to realize that I was a low key ARMY…. you dont choose it you’re drafted…. lol
    I love these boys though…the fan fiction was a good rec also cherry!

• Reply Cherry Cordial April 13, 2016 at 1:32 pm

Yay! I’m glad you’re an ARMY *and* you liked the fanfic. I’ve got more recs to throw out, and I’m considering making a page on the site, if people would be interested.