Descendants Suck Up The Competition

Posted by Stephanie on March 3, 2016

General

descendents

It’s official, Descendants From the Sun is a mega hit. Reaching over 20% watchership in just 3 episodes? A feat KBS hasn’t reached since Good Doctor? Yep, someone over there must be wetting themselves. But I ask, are the numbers that much of a surprise? I should also ask, can it stay there? And finally, should I watch?

Yeah, since the mega hit that was Heirs, since this drama was announced, I’m fairly certain everyone expected it to be a bat out of the park ratings hit from the start. Of course, this doesn’t mean that a drama will stay there. There are lots of dramas—wasn’t King2Hearts one of them, which initially got huge numbers and then slowly slipped down? Hype does not equal quality. I repeat, just because we want something to be good, doesn’t mean that it will be.

No matter what the rabid fangirls say.

Not to mention, for the amount of time, effort, and money put into this drama (gah, can you imagine how much this thing had to have cost??) it needed to sweep everything else up. You almost have to feel bad about the shows which, through no fault of their own. (Come Back, Ajusshi at 5.2% and One More Happy Ending at 3.8%) These dramas really never had a chance, did they? Can you imagine that pitch meeting?

Network: Sounds great! We’d love to have your show on our network.

Production Company: Wow! Really? Woohoo! What time slot were you thinking of?

Network: We’re thinking you’ll do great against Descendants.

Production Company: ……………

Sorry Rain, sorry…someone in Happy Ending, maybe next time. You were just no match for Song Joong Ki and Kim Eun Suk. The best you can hope for is that Descendants is actually terrible, or will stumble in some way, causing viewers to run from it.

But I’m going to say that’s pretty unlikely.

Here’s that final question: I couldn’t decide if I wanted to watch Descendants or not. Is it actually worth it? I’ve been dodging spoilers, gifs and pictures, but it’s a boobie trapped land mine out there. As the show goes on, something’s going to filter in. While I was not a fan, simulcasting really is the only way I’m getting new stuff in. It worked for Village and it’s working for Signal. Of course those are dramas I’ve done the drama chats on, but maybe it’s time to graduate to the simulcast.

Are you watching it? If so, spoiler free, do you like it? Do you think I should pick it up? Let me know what you think!

• Reply JMertz March 3, 2016 at 8:50 pm

I love it. Absolutely love it. In fact, I’ve watched the first two episodes twice because the first time I was caught up in the fangirl squeals.

• Reply raniaunrated March 3, 2016 at 9:03 pm

Similarly, I was honestly so sceptical about it and frankly just afraid. Afraid of the overhype and anxious of another similar “Heirs” disaster. Not to mention the military idea didn’t appeal to me at all. BUT, having watched 3 episodes, I can safely say this all went away.So far the story telling is nicely paced, there’s chemistry from episode 1 without any cheese, and cinematography is well done. I definitely think you should pick it up now before spoilers get the best of you…for the sake of the beloved Song Joong Ki.

• Reply LizC March 4, 2016 at 2:14 am

So far, definitely worth watching. An almost constant stream of Joong Ki fanservice and pretty locations. It’s so refreshing to have a drama where the leads acknowledge that they like and are attracted to each other by the 2nd episode, and I like that they’ve established a pattern of addressing conflict in their relationship with forthright (and flirty) banter.

• Reply Samantha March 4, 2016 at 11:14 am

It’s definitely worth watching I’m a big song joong ki fan but even if it wasn’t for him I would keep watching the characters are good a lot of room for character development and overall story development and so far not too much of the triangle thing although you never know when that will pop up

• Reply SaraG March 4, 2016 at 1:10 pm

I am loving it. The relationships are well thought out, the characters all seem plausible and well developed, and the military/medical response is all close to my actual and dream job and they do a pretty good job with it (I haven’t cringed yet). Plus the fan service is pretty great. Definitely worth a watch. I could see how it wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste, but it is really well done (at least to episode 4). I am simulcasting and two of my friends (recent converts to the Kdrama world) are waiting to binge later.

• Reply Elena Linville March 4, 2016 at 1:22 pm

Loving it so far. I like the main characters and I LOVE the fact that we won’t (hopefully) have a traditional love triangle, because we actually have two couples with each their own problems and challenges. I love the bromance between the two male leads. They sell the fact that those two had been friends for a very long time and had been through hell and back again. The way they can understand each other with just a glance and a subtle change in face expressions is wonderful.

So so far I’m hooked and enjoying the ride. Hopefully, it won’t disappointment along the way like Cheese did.

• Reply justanotheranimefan March 9, 2016 at 1:01 am

I agree so much about what hopefully looks like two separate love-lines, and not the usual love-triangle! I think it’s a nice change in the K-Drama world. The bromance is also so good!

Definitely one to pick up 😉

• Reply Molly in Kdramaland March 6, 2016 at 5:46 am

Stephanie, if you’re going to simulcast, this is the one to do it with. Descendants feels (so far) like this year’s Healer. As of right now, it really is that good. If nothing else, Song Joong Ki’s confidence and charisma will have you swooning. It’s kinda ridiculous how sexy he is in this show. And I’m loving every minute of it! 🙂