Podcast Episode 37: New Kdrama Chatter!

Posted by Cherry Cordial on October 29, 2015

Podcast

KCJ-Podcast-Site-Logo-transition-650x230

Episode 37: New Kdrama Chatter!

Find it Here

iTunes
RSS Feed
Direct Download

Show Notes

It’s possible we got so excited talking about all the good (and very bad) things we were watching that we ran long. Very long. Which always gives Stephanie fits, because she has to cut out all those meanderings she and Cherry take. This episode we’re talking Big Gay Gangster’s Big Dumb Drama, D-Day, The Village, and Kiss Me (aka Thai Playful Kiss). Yes, see? We can talk about new dramas! We’re also talking about the no good, very bad thing that’s going on at YouTube, and then we answer a fun listener question about embarrassing situations caused by Kdrama and Kpop. Is it any wonder we couldn’t stop talking??

Song of a Day

OK – B1A4

Listener Question

If you have a listener question you’d like to ask us, be it drama related, casting, recommendations, really anything you can think of, please let us know. We can be reached via our website contact form, podcast@kchatjjigae.com, or if you’d like to leave a voicemail we could play on the air give us a call at 1-347-674-9310. For those of you outside the country (or who don’t want to call long distance), you can record your question on your phone or computer and email the file to us at podcast@kchatjjigae.com.

Dramas Mentioned

Junsu’s Naughty Concert
Like Love Book Translation
Mirrorball Music YouTube Channel
Takumi Kun DiMao Version
TechCrunch Article about YouTube Red

Clarifications and Omissions

When we were talking about McFeeleys and their Running Man nights, it was actually Jami who didn’t like KwangHee, not Baby McFeeley. Baby McFeeley is a much nicer person than we are, and she probably found him delightful.

Stephanie should apologize to the following
  • Purplrrrr, for assuming you have listened to all the other podcasts and knew she had spoken of Takumi Kun a few times over. She’s sure you have a life, and we are not the end-all be-all to that life. *She says this grudgingly.*
  • Junsu, for implying she wouldn’t want to see you writhing against some woman. You do you, bro. *Although she stands by the fact that you are more sexy writhing on your own than as a pair.*
  • Anyone who goes out there and tries to watch and/or read that Big Gay Gangster’s Big Dumb Drama—yes, we found part of the translation and NO, NO, NO we do not recommend it. AT ALL.
  • To you, the listeners, for having to delete all the good bits because we ran over.
Thanks for listening! See you next time.

• Reply Jess October 30, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Ohmigosh! First of all, Stephanie and Cherry, THANK YOU for the congrats! The wedding was awesome and my dj was even able to play “Crooked” for me (Which I know is actually a breakup song, but it’s my favorite GD song and only myself and two other people knew the lyrics lol). I also walked down the aisle to Jun Sung Ahn’s “Found” (his original song, which is beautiful) and had them play his cover of “Monster” and his mashup of “Wedding Dress” and “River Flows Through You”. I loved that people were listening to kpop and didn’t know it. mwahaha.

To answer your question, GD will always be my bias. I’m lucky in that my friend who got me into kpop/kdrama is a T.O.P. fan, so we have no need for contracts. As far as the new hubs, he just shakes his head. He knows of GD and this whole world, but lets me fangirl on my own. We are both nerds, so he has experienced the other fandoms and has his own as well. I think he is just grateful that I have other people to talk to about this and he isn’t be drug along to the concerts. We don’t have an actual list, but I think he would assume that GD would be on it for me. It also helps his case that the mere mention of GD in any other discussion other than “he’s a very talented person” makes my entire face and ears turn red as a tomato, so meeting him in person would be very embarassing.

• Reply Mary Christina October 31, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Thanks so much for reading out my comment Cherry & Stephanie! I was thinking about the question of secondhand embarrassment then while watching “She Was Pretty” I stumbled upon my ULTIMATE secondhand embarrassment: Korean actors speaking English (in this case Shiwon and Park Seo joon T_T). Closely related is when they hire native English speakers who cannot act for walk on roles. I heard that the scenes of “Heirs” set in California were close to unwatchable due to these two factors. On the other hand when you have an actor who *can* speak English like a native speaker, such as Park Yoo-hwan in “She Was Pretty” as well as Philip Lee in Secret Garden it is SUPER smexy. Thanks for your wonderful podcast and all the work you put into it!!!

• Reply purplerrr November 1, 2015 at 12:28 am

Hi Stephanie – Just so you know, I assumed you knew about Takumi Kun since I’ve listened to all of your podcasts. But I don’t assume that folks reading the comments know so I thought I should put in a little clarification for those who don’t have any idea of what I was talking about. It’s the teacher in me wanting to make sure most people reading the comments understand what I’m talking about. I have the first 3 manga and can’t find anymore in English so I’ve been trolling the TK fanfic. There’s some good stuff out there! When I’m back home on my computer I’ll see if I can find the links I really like.

BTW – I’m just finishing a week’s vacation with my 85 year old aunt on the family farm in Texas. Every time I come I bring a Kdrama DVD. This time we watched Healer and she loved it. So far we’ve watched “High School King of Savvy” (She liked OK because Seo In Guk!), Kill Me Heal Me, My Love From the Stars and Healer. She really likes the action romance genre so I’m trying to think of what I’ll bring from my DVD collection on my next trip. Since the farm is in the middle of a whole lot of other farms she doesn’t have inexpensive online access. It’s much better to bring DVDs. I’m thinking of Coffee Prince, Queen In-Hyuns Man, Let’s Eat 1 or 2, King 2 Hearts, Bad Guys or Liar Game. I’ve got 6 months to figure it out! Only requirement is that I have to have it in DVD form.

Thinking about your comment on the actor that plays Ohm I have to agree. This Ohm was much closer to the book. Also, just on a physical level I think he fit much better with Mick than the first actor would have. The appearances they’ve been doing after the show have been so cute as well. The Ohm and Mick actors seem to be good buddies in real life and like hanging out with each other. Which is all I really want from my boys who fall in love in a series. Be friends!

OK. I’m still on vacation and will have to listen to the podcast again to see if there’s anything else I need to comment on, but thanks for taking the time to comment on comments!

• Reply humbledaisy1 November 1, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Okay, just assume this is a comment on the not-yet-aired Big Bang podcast – cause I actually bought a full Big Bang album on the basis of your great concert photos. Now, I can dance around whilst folding laundry (basically, I’m burning NaNoWriMo daylight even as we speak) and not have to switch between artists on my iPod.

In real life, I am only embarrassed when I’m showing something on Instagram to my family and like six-seven kpop idol Instragrams pop up first. Let’s just say, I get some looks. I also have huge cases of second hand embarrassment but they are mostly for teen-idol show situations. We’ve all read about how hard it is to break into the k-entertainment business and I feel very much for the silly and somewhat degrading things these kids have to do (and with a smile on their faces!) in order to keep their faces on the news. Thanks for your show!

• Reply purplerrr November 3, 2015 at 1:03 am

BTW – I did see the fan made version of Takumi Kun 1 and loved it. Thought it was superior to the first movie with the original cast. Very well done.

Also on You Tube there is a behind the scenes of the TK 5 lovemaking scenes. It really brought home for me how a better director could have made Love Sick love scenes so much better than they were in Season 2. It’s an interesting 5 minute video with no dialogue as long as you don’t mind having the mystery of the scene taken away!

• Reply Rebekah Roberts November 18, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Hey Ladies,
    Thank you SSSOO much for the list and for playing my embarrassing story. I am sorry to say, I have not learned my lesson, I work at a school and some of the kids turned my phone on to find a picture of Chanyeol… I thought I would change it, but decided to go with TOP… Oh well, I guess that is the price I have to pay.
    Your list was great, and because I love embarrassing humor, you not only made a list for me to show my mom but a list that I will want to check out.
    It is really funny that you said to stay away from the Hong Sisters, because the first drama that I showed my mother was You’re Beautiful. She liked it, but there was more than one point that was hard for her to get through. And I agree she shouldn’t watch Secret Garden… Because she doesn’t drink. 😉 Cherry’s story about having to drink to get through was hilarious!
    We decided to go with Arang and The Magistrate and then I think we will try Queen In Hyun’s Man next.
    Thanks!