Musical Monday, The Maybe I’m Over BigBang Edition?

Posted by Stephanie on May 4, 2015

Music

Bae bae

5-1 was the day. The BIG DAY. The BigBang day. The day that fans of the popular band have been waiting literally years for—the day when they graciously dropped two new songs on us. Now I’m going to push past my feelings of “Uhhuh sure you’re releasing 2 songs a month for the fans. For the fans! Because, as you say, each of your songs are so wonderful, so precious, that they each deserve to be the star of the CD. They are all the next Fantastic Baby.” Get past my irritation of months, if not years, of teasing that this will be (really, we really, really mean it) time they are coming back and just judge the music on it’s own merits.

But I’m not sure if I can.

I listen to the songs and I’m frankly underwhelmed by both of them. There was no real excitement, nothing that hooked me in. And I’m saying this knowing I’m probably the only one out there who felt this way and while I may be incurring the great and righteous wrath of the fangirl, but I’ve got to be honest.

It actually brings to mind the fact that while I listen to GDragon all the time, T.O.P’s stuff, even some Taeyang (Ringa Linga anyone?)—BigBang as a group? With the exception of Alive, which I bought iTunes and physical copies of, not to mention dished out a butt-ton of money to see them live, I don’t really listen to any of their other CDs.

Was Alive, for me as a fan, a fluke? Did I allow my fervent love of their last CD color me?

I just don’t know.

What I do know is that we still have about four months left of new music coming out, so perhaps something there will tickle my fangirl fancy? Sometimes I have to listen to things multiple times for them to really catch on. Heck, I think Fantastic Baby was the third video released from the Alive CD, so I heard 2 songs, thought “Eh, that’s okay” then when Fantastic Baby turned me into a fan, I then was able to relisten to those other songs and love them?

So here they are for you to enjoy and me to relisten and try to.

Bae Bae

Loser,

What did you think? Did you love them? Am I actually alone out there in my meh-ness?

[Stephanie Note: Since writing this, I’ve listened to the songs a few more times and they are growing on me—maybe by the time next songs come out I might even like them]

• Reply Sara G May 4, 2015 at 10:50 am

I too was underwhelmed at first…but with re-listens I have started to really enjoy Bae Bae. Fingers crossed for some “love at first listen” in the coming months!

• Reply Stephanie May 4, 2015 at 11:09 am

Huzzah! Glad it wasn’t just me. I’ll keep trying.

• Reply Sara G May 4, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Hmmmm, the more I listen, the more I love TOP in Bae Bae. Really.

• Reply Stephanie May 6, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I’m starting to like Bae Bae more. If I listen to it and not watch the video. I really dislike their looks for this album.

• Reply humbledaisy1 May 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm

I only listen to BigBang when it pops up on Pandora but I’d relisten to Loser. Video wise, G-Dragon and his funky pimp coat would scare the heck out of even the most blasé LA resident. So, no, for me on watching.

• Reply Stephanie May 6, 2015 at 8:55 pm

LAUGH! I often think of what random people here in the US who see them filming are like. Who are these guys? And why are they dressed like that. They have no idea of just how popular these weirdos are.

• Reply evez May 4, 2015 at 11:39 pm

with the two songs i love Loser more of Bae Bae….honestly, the only thing that pleasing to my eyes with regards to Bae’s mv is the vibrant color!…they are so colorful and pretty to watch over the HD screen…..but as i check what Bae Bae’s lyrics about,,,,i was like what?…..feeds from the netz gave the answers to all my queries. It has said that the song has a lot of idiomatic wordings and symbols. ok!…i make a big fuzz about the lyrics but what about the BB’s feel?…i like Loser minus the negative thoughts of the songs. With the two songs, i feel like Loser has the more feels of BB’s songs. It has the rnb-hiphop beat i guess?….but you see?,,,,the VIPs are hungry for their comeback so it overwhelmed and dominates the chart already,,,,whether good or bad i guess i will still be a VIP at heart… <3<3<3 😉

• Reply Stephanie May 6, 2015 at 8:52 pm

You know, the more I listen the more they do sound like BigBang songs. It’s funny how distinctly different GDragon sounds with BigBang and then as a solo artist.

• Reply Wallis May 5, 2015 at 9:15 am

Hi Stephanie, I’ve been listening to your podcast for a while but this is my first time on your site! Thank you for doing what you do!

I’ve been watching kdramas since last June but I’m just now getting into the music. So this is from the perspective of someone who didn’t have the years of waiting to build expectations. I listened to the concert videos of loser and bae bae before release and really really liked loser, so I bought M on iTunes when it was released. I actually prefer Bae Bae now, l just wish it was longer haha.

• Reply Stephanie May 6, 2015 at 8:51 pm

YAY!!! Thank you so much for listening–and for dropping in for a visit. I’ll make sure to tell Cherry.

The more I listen the more I’m (grudgingly) liking Bae Bae. Not the video, but the song itself.

Welcome to the word of Kdrama and Kpop!