Podcast Episode 21: Holy Holograms, Kdrama!

Posted by Cherry Cordial on March 18, 2015

Podcast

KCJ-Podcast-Site-Logo-transition-650x230

Woot! We thought for sure this episode was going to be a day late because we were really late in recording it. But thanks to the speedup button (yes, I listen to us in chipmunk voices while editing) I was able to get it edited in record time. [Cherry: Go, Stephanie, with your awesome editing skillz!]

Episode 21: Holy Holograms, Kdrama!

Find it Here

iTunes
RSS Feed
Direct Download

Show Notes

In today’s episode, we talk about changing the way we watch Kdrama and vow to start simulcasting more by looking through a lot of the upcoming dramas, we squeee about random kpop news, and wonder who would pay to watch a hologram GDragon. Meandering, we brush on body size in Korean entertainment and the possible end of our love of Roommate.

Song of a Day

MFBTY – Buckubucku

Listener Question

If you have a listener question you’d like to ask us, be it drama related, casting, recommendations, really anything you can think of, please let us know. We can be reached via our website contact form, podcast@kchatjjigae.com, or if you’d like to leave a voicemail we could play on the air give us a call at 1-347-674-9310.

Dramas Mentioned

Protect the Boss
Habaek’s Bride / Bride of the Water God

Links Mentioned

Orange Marmalade
Jaejoong and Junsu on Instagram
BTS US concert information

Stephanie would like to apologize to the following*
  • Cherry Cordial, for all of the “I watched more dramas than you” neiner-neiners.
  • Fans of Sunny — we don’t all have to like the same things to be friends?
  • People who don’t like Jackson — she didn’t say anything derogatory to you, she just feels bad for you.
  • Korean entertainment — Cherry Cordial is right, it’s not just Korea who has an issue with plus-sized entertainers.

*she does NOT, however, apologize for mocking those who would pay actual money to watch a hologram of GDragon perform.

Thanks for listening! See you next time.

• Reply Purplerrr March 20, 2015 at 1:56 am

My review of “The Technicians” was “All Sound and Fury Signifying Nothing.” I drove 30 minutes and paid $12 for a movie I kept falling asleep in. As you all said, it wasn’t the acting, it was the writing. I never knew why I should care about these characters. Five minutes of backstory would have made a difference!

• Reply crazyforkdrama March 23, 2015 at 12:31 pm

LAUGH! I am so, so glad that I’m not the only one who had an issue with this movie. And I’d looked so forward to it too!

• Reply LizC (@lizcook) March 22, 2015 at 12:47 pm

OK, I can think of a couple of reasons to go to a hologram concert:
    1) If you are part of the Korean fandom, you are already spending silly amounts of time and money on your group, so of course you’ll go and hang out with fellow fans and add this to your checklist of ultimate fandom.
    2) if I was visiting Seoul from another country, I could see this being a silly, fun way to have a “K-Pop experience” if there weren’t any actual concerts going on while I was there.
    Also, this is not so much about the hologram concert, but there is a concert movie of GD that’s going to be showing in Mexico and South America. I could definitely see doing that, since no K-Pop groups will ever do a concert in my city. That’d be a fun way to have that concert experience, meet up with other fans in my city, and maybe drag along an adventurous friend or two, since the price point is low.

• Reply LizC (@lizcook) March 22, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I’ve come to realize that marathoning and simul-watching a drama are two different things, and how I’m watching impacts how I think about a drama. With simul-watching, I’m definitely more aware of the dramatic beats in the story, when I have a week to mull over the big reveal or cliffhanger. When I’m marathoning, I’m much less forgiving of plots and character tics that repeat over and again every 3 episodes.

• Reply connieindramaland March 24, 2015 at 2:48 am

I got caught up on Orange Marmalade and remember the vampire boy on the news that they said his uniform was from a near by school? My guess is we would meet him again and he will become a love interest latter on. And Lee Jung Hyun said on We Got Married that he was playing a Vampire. So that is my guess but it’s only conjecture.

• Reply Cherry Cordial March 25, 2015 at 11:54 am

Ooh, you’re probably right. I just got caught up on it yesterday, but it didn’t even cross my mind.