How Well You Know Me Or The Producers? Hrm.

Posted by Stephanie on March 11, 2015

Casting News

mad-46338_1280I’ve been keeping my eye out for information on the new drama The Producers. Kim Soo Hyun working with the writer from You From Another Star again? Well, it worked so well the first time, why not give it another go?

And then it went down hill from there.

Why? Well, it’s pretty easy if you know me at all. (And, as Miss G over at Operation Kdrama Chat called me out on this the other day, she totally knows me!) One thing turned this drama from the ‘automatic watch’ column to a coveted spot on the ‘not even for a fist full of tacos’ list. Again, why you ask? Gong Hyo Jin? Nope. I lurve me some Gong Hyo Jin and for that reason even more than Kim Soo Hyun, I would have watched this. Is it IU then? Well, I’m not a huge IU fan as, while she’s super adorable, I personally don’t think she has a lot of acting range, but it’s not as if I dislike her enough to let her drive a wedge between me and Gong Hyo Jin. So then that leaves one person. Yep, you guessed it.

Cha Tae Hyun. GAH! Just the mention of his name was enough for me to go, “See you later Gong Hyo Jin, better luck next time.”

Do you guys have someone like that? Someone who is on your automatic no list? Someone who you’d wish would steer clear of anything you even think you want to see? I certainly hope so, otherwise I’m the weirdo here.

Why do I dislike him so much? A Prince’s First Love. If you read my review for that drama you’ll see just how much I disliked that drama and while I know you can’t realistically blame someone for how a writer writes a drama, but I hated that show so much, that it (I am not kidding) almost made me give up on Kdrama. If you are reading this, you are probably suffering from a bit of an obsession as well and know that this is not a phrase one bandies about lightly. But indeed, I hated his character, I hated his over the top acting style and by the end of it (this was back when I didn’t realize you could just stop watching a show) just the mere sight of his face can set my lip to snarl–it’s almost a Pavlovian response.

So Gong Hyo Jin, So Kim Soo Hyun, maybe next time.

And just one final question. Who is the lead in this? All we know at this point is that the drama will take place in the production department of a tv network (I’m thinking King Of Dramas but from the networks perspective?) where Cha Tae Hyun and Gong Hyo Jin play senior producers and IU plays a top singer (surprise!). No word on Kim Soo Hyun’s character though. Is the lead going to be Gong Hyo Jin or is it going to be IU? Are they going to pull a You’re All Surrounded where they cast Cha Seung Won, usually the main lead, as the senior detective and let the young things have most of the plot? Not that I don’t think he did a bang up job in that, but I want more for Gong Hyo Jin. It’s way too early for her to be handing over the first lead spot.

But then again, I might be looking too much into this….

• Reply Purplerrr March 11, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I feel you pain. Park Si-yeon. If I see her name, eeeerrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh. She was the main reason I couldn’t finish “Nice Guy” (besides the inane plot and stupid things people did and personality switches.) I’ve tried to watch her in other things and just can’t. Her face makes me crazy in a bad way.

I looked up Cha Tae Hyun and haven’t seen him in anything major. I saw The Con Artists but since I didn’t know who he was, his cameo whizzed right past me.

• Reply crazyforkdrama March 12, 2015 at 7:53 pm

I had issues with her in Coffee House. President of a giant publishing company? Ummmm.. no.

Cha Tae Hyun is mucking up my Con Artists?? Almost enough to make me not watch–but if it’s just a cameo, I suppose I’ll suffer through…

• Reply Lady G. March 11, 2015 at 10:21 pm

hahaha! I called you out. That’s how much an impression that post made on me. I’d never forget. Wow, I’d have to think on this, I don’t think I have that much scorn for any one actor or actress, though there are some I’m not crazy about and don’t particularly care to watch. Two off the top of my head are Eric and…Gong Hyo Jin. (ducks from rocks and tomatoes.) And I’m not saying they don’t have talent, I’m just not interested in anything they do. (I’ve seen a lot of GHJ dramas too.)

I was under the impression IU and Kim Soo Hyun are the leads. I’m thinking there’s probably 2 couples and storylines here.

• Reply crazyforkdrama March 13, 2015 at 7:32 pm

LAUGH!!! Can I tell you how much it tickles me that it made an impression? I’m so glad I was able to salvage that one. I can see why you might not light Gong Hyo Jin, for some reason even thought she does some of the same things that other actresses do that drive me crazy, I just forgive her for it. Perhaps because she chooses such good projects?

I wish they’d stop trying to make her a lead actress. And honestly, I’m not sure why Kim Soo Hyun would sign on to something like this. He seems….bigger….than a fourth lead. (If that’s how they go.)

• Reply bakazen March 12, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Jin Se-Yeon. Despite being often surrounded by actors I like, she nevertheless manages to create this blackhole that just sucks the life out of the space around her. After 3 dramas with her, I’m finished. BTW…love GHJ.

• Reply crazyforkdrama March 13, 2015 at 7:33 pm

GAH!!!! I had to look up her name. We call her stupid face. As in “Ugh, we hate her stupid face.” She is pretty much the female equivalent to Cha Tae Hyun. How does she keep getting cast in such big dramas?

• Reply Vivi March 12, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I try not to admit this often for fear of eliciting fangirl rage, but it’s Jang Geun Suk for me. I don’t know what it is, but after YAB, I just can’t. Something about him creeps me out.

• Reply bakazen March 13, 2015 at 12:01 am

LOL. It’s weird, I like him although I’ve pretty much disliked every character I’ve seen him play (all versions of the same thing) b/c I figure he just can’t be serious!!

• Reply Lady G. March 14, 2015 at 1:51 pm

That’s pretty funny. I never really liked anything he’s done, barely heard his music, but I just like JGS and wish him to get a real cool drama role. LOL.

• Reply crazyforkdrama March 13, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I can totally see that! I personally like him as an actor, but I think he can do way better than the roles he’s been taking.

And isn’t it funny (in an unfunny scary way) how we fear the fangirl rage? It is both fierce and instantaneous.

• Reply Lady G. March 14, 2015 at 1:52 pm

That is funny! There’s a lot of fangirl rage simmering out there. It’s best not to wake the sleeping giants or start an avalanche by shouting out “I HATE……” LOL