Tragic Past Or A New Beginning?

Posted by Stephanie on February 10, 2015

General

boogie man 2Red alert! Trauma-drama straight ahead! You know how you’re all like, “Ugh, Monday’s bite big monkey balls?” Yep, that was pretty much that my day–and then I checked my email and read a note from Blogger which said, “You know that site you slaved over for over three years? You know, the one you wore like a badge of honor? Oh yeah, it’s gone. And those 1300 posts you wrote? Yep, those are gone good. But we hope you have a nice day.”

Way to make a crappy day–just that much worse.

It’s a been a couple of bad months here at Crazy, I’ve been a lot of take down notices lately and from what I understood from the emails I received that they said I could, after removing the content in question, repost it. However, if I kept getting them they would take down my site. Since, the information I was given was never clear on what content was in question, I figured the safest course of action was to just take it on the chin and not repost them. I certainly didn’t want my site to be in jeopardy. Here’s what was not clear in the email–it wasn’t a matter of that post getting multiple takedown notices it was the site in general and that by choosing to be ‘safe’ I was ultimately implying guilt on my own part.

Now, I’ve never, ever hosted videos here, and I think I’ve made a point to be vocally pro-legally watching dramas. So for me to get caught in the crosshairs of evil minions plotting the demise of my precious site? Shocking. But as bad as that is? It’s the loss of 3 years worth of posts, basically 3 years of my life, gone in an instant which was almost unimaginable.

But there it is.

And now it’s decision time. Where do I go next? Do I fight it and risk a lawsuit if they should decide to take it that far? Should I just let Crazy die a sad death? Or should I try to make a go of it. Each of these options have pros and cons. Fighting takes time and money, both of which I don’t have. On the other hand, I truly think that they have taken me down in error, as according to Chilling Effects, all the other sites affected were illegal streaming sights.

Letting Crazy die would be sad. So sad I can hardly imagine it.Β What would I do with my life? Upside? I would actually have time to have a life. Imagine all of the kdramas I could watch if I didn’t put in the time here? Or I could, I don’t know, leave my apartment. Not to mention the fact that after the Ultimate Khottie Battle debacle, Crazy For Kdrama hasn’t been the happy home it once was. (Way to go few bad apples spoiling the crate.) But again, the thought about keeping all of my thoughts to myself, not being able to interact with readers and now friends? It would be like missing an arm.

Then it comes down to rebuilding. Luckily, thanks to the greatness that is Cherry Cordial, I now have access to about a year and a half worth of posts. So while yes, I still lose another year and a half of work, at least it’s not such a scary place as having to start completely from scratch. But the idea of beginning again? Is a scary thing. And what do I do if it happens again? There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme or reason as to these notices, or why I was hit so hard while others doing the exact same thing are fine.

After much talking with friends, and lots of support from people like you (thank you so much for the nice comments and thoughts, you made what was truly one of the worst days and gave a bright light to it) I’ve decided to go forward. I’m not sure if I’m going to fight for those past posts, or what I’m going to do in the future, but for now, I’m going to keep going forward. As I’m super competitive, I’ve decided to take this on as a challenge, I’m going to make it bigger and better and anyone who wants to take it from me had better watch out!

Ahem, I say this from the safety of my computer but I’m going to do my best to keep my chin up while also keep my nose to the grindstone. I plan in the interim to put posts here, while I put together a self hosting site. This being said, while it will take a while to get back on my feet, I hope you bear with me.

I am going to put out a weird request, if anyone uses a blog reader like Cherry does (she uses feedly.com) and happened to have subscribed to me before 5/13, you would have access to some of my older posts too! (Unfortunately, this is where most of my reviews lived.) If you do, I would greatly appreciate the help. Also, if you know of a good hosting company, that would also be super great.

Kdrama backhugs and fish-eyed kisses,

Stephanie

• Reply pinkblossom February 10, 2015 at 6:21 pm

so sorry about what happened… i can only imagine how devastating this must all be T_T
    stay strong, dear stephanie! we are here to support you!! <3

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:29 pm

I kind of feel like my left arm has been chopped off. But well wishes like your help me feel better. MWAH!

• Reply missienelly February 10, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Yippee… You’re up! I’m happy now. Let’s shoo the boogie man (men) away!

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Thanks Miss Nelly–I hope you figured out how to back up your stuff. Now of only the boogie man was hot…and korean. Then maybe we wouldn’t mind so much

• Reply Amber Kmuse February 10, 2015 at 8:30 pm

So glad to see you continuing on since I love reading your blog. Good luck!

• Reply Heather February 10, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Thank you for all your post. For those of us who love kdrama and kpop but can’t write to save our souls thank you for all the great post,podcasts and khotties we will keep looking for the new and improved crazy for kdrama!!!! As they say in kdrama land….FIGHTING!!!!!!

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much for your comment–and for reading–and listening! I’m going to fight as much as I can!

• Reply Kirn February 10, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I have loved your site since i discovered it a year ago and even went back and read all of your posts from the beginning. I am truly sad to hear that the site was taken down. I was just now learning how to use twitter and thought about adding you and am glad that you have this way of communicating with us your fans and followers. I truly appreciate your decision to keep blogging. You are a great blogger and i for one would miss your voice if you were to stop. So thank you again. And good luck.

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:34 pm

WOW! Thank you so much for reading all of my stuff. With over 1300 posts, that took some effort and gives me a case of the warm fuzzies. I’m going to do my best to come back bigger and better!

• Reply Lady G. February 11, 2015 at 1:00 am

Knowing the type of passionate blogger you are, I’m positive you will come back on fire in your next venture.

I was looking up stuff to see if I could help you with the recovery process. I thought I had a great option, but it didn’t work. Arhh! The idea was to go to google search, and type the URL of your website. It would and actually does bring up pages of cached posts. However, when I clicked the links, I got the 404 page. πŸ™ I was so sad. Basically, if Blogger deletes your site, then it’s a permanent deletion and even the cache is gone from the Google search engine. Not surprising since Google owns Blogger. :/

In my searches I found this post by a blogger who went through major aggravation because of using ONE copyrighted photo. And she basically lists the warnings. Very informative post. As a blogger and website owner/youtube video maker, I know at anytime I can get that take-down notice too. It has happened to me through youtube many times.

• Reply DDee February 11, 2015 at 4:34 am

Thanks so much for sharing this LG! This is so usefu !

Hwating Steph. Glad you’re up and running again πŸ™‚

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Just when I thought I couldn’t be more scared–I read that blog–thanks for that πŸ˜‰ But it’s super important information and it has really helped me try and figure out where to go from here.

• Reply Lady G. February 12, 2015 at 11:45 am

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to scare ya! It has also got me and Kfangurl really thinking about where to go with The Fangirl Verdict now too. It just seems like no one is safe unless they are posting a picture of their plate of food or personal trip to India. :/

I’m sure whatever you decide to do will be a good choice. I wish you the best! You have too much to say about Kdrama to let it go down so fast like that.

• Reply Maripaz February 11, 2015 at 2:20 am

Oh no!!! I cannot begin to imagine what you must be feeling right now! : ( of course I selfishly want you to fight for your blog because I’ve really enjoyed your voice on kdramas, but I think it may be tiring and maybe make you feel sad throughout the process. Whatever you decide, thank you so much for the three years you’ve put in!! And for the brilliance that is khotties! (I will miss being able to go back and click on some of my favorites… Ahem…) And I don’t know what this khottie of the year debacle is of which you speak but I sure got a kick out of it. Stephanie, fighting!!

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:47 pm

Maripaz, thank you so much for selfishly wanting me to continue! It really makes me feel good. And for everything else you said? MWAH!

• Reply Liz February 11, 2015 at 3:06 am

I’m so sorry that this happened, but so relieved that Cherry was able to help recover some of the previous posts. Perhaps someday you will also be reunited with the other posts, like amnesiac siblings in a K-drama.

I’m also really happy that you’ve decided to keep the blog going, since I really enjoy it (and the podcasts.)

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Now if only I could use magical incense or a brain fetus to go back into time….

Thanks for your comment πŸ™‚

• Reply total_newbie_to_k February 11, 2015 at 10:28 am

Glad to see you back. Hwaiting!

• Reply kfangurl February 11, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Yay that you managed to recover some good chunks of content!! Cherry is amazing.

So sorry for what you’ve had to go through, but glad that you’re bouncing back with spirit intact and raring to go!! Fighting, Steph! ^^

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Indeed she is. On another plus side?? You can now comment!

• Reply kfangurl February 12, 2015 at 12:26 am

HAHA. I was THINKING that when I left the comment, but decided not to mention it, since it’s harsh that you lost the other site. Now that you said it though, I can say, yes, totally! I can definitely comment now! XD

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 13, 2015 at 11:51 am

Getting Kfangurl comments was always on the pro list of switching from Blogger. πŸ˜‰

• Reply humbledaisy1 February 11, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Sorry to see this happen to such a passionate blogger – I will poke around to see if I can find any old reviews, etc. for you. BUT – looking forward to your future posts/reviews even more. Fighting!

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Thanks so much! And I’ve gotten lucky my magical computer guy boss managed to get me a lot of my reviews back. We’ll see where we go from here, but am glad you’ll be along for the ride. πŸ™‚

• Reply NewKDramaAddict February 11, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Oh, honey! I don’t use a blog reader but here’s hugs! I’ll be there with you for the struggle!

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:43 pm

Thanks so much Be–now go back up your work πŸ˜‰

• Reply Vivi February 11, 2015 at 11:30 pm

There are no words for how sad I am for you, but I’m happy to hear that you got back a lot of your content! Good work, Cherry!

Fighting, Stephanie! I’ll be looking forward to hearing more from you, wherever that happens.

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 11, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Thank you so much Vivi! I’m not exactly sure where I will go from here but thanks for sticking with me.

• Reply dewaanifordrama February 12, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I’m so sorry to hear that this happened to you!!! This is absolutely awful!!! Fighting!!! This is appalling that this can happen and without really telling you why.

• Reply mnem February 15, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Hi,

Lawyer and reader here. If they’re hitting you with DMCA takedown notices, they need to provide enough information to identify the allegedly infringing content. As far as I am aware, simply linking to video footage (i.e. not hosting) is not and has never been grounds for infringement in the U.S. (Hello, Facebook?). I would suspect you’re getting caught sideways in something over all of the pictures, but it’s hard to tell since they (you?) don’t ID them. Do they identify the complaining party?

• Reply crazyforkdrama February 16, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for your comment, Reader and Lawyer! The whole thing is a murky pool of confusion and fear. I’m thinking that’s exactly what they are going for. It doesn’t say exactly what the issues are it only says looking up on Chilling. Of all the posts I received DMCA take down notification for, only one of them had a video link which was an embedded play from Viki. By going to Chilling and seeing all the ones I’m lumped in with are all illegal streaming sites. They all also stem from a single company working apparently working for SBS and C&J.

I’m not entirely certain where I’m going to go from here. I think for now? Super cautiously!

Thank you so much for reading and commenting–your comment made me feel a lot better.

• Reply apqaria February 19, 2015 at 12:09 pm